Why use dumbbells?
No denying that dumbbells are an integral part of a workout routine. Dumbbells not only work out your biceps, but also are effective for working out your back (deadlifts) and abdominals (crunches and side bends) as well as your lower body to include calf raises and lunges. Many fitness professional view dumbbells as the most versatile strength training tool. This article published in ACE highlights the 5 Benefits of Dumbbell Training.
Are you considering adjustable dumbbells?
When considering a dumbbell purchase, are you trying to decide if adjustable dumbbells are a good fit for you? When shopping for adjustable dumbbells, there are two general categories:
What are plate-loaded adjustable dumbbells?
Plate-loaded adjustable dumbbells are adjusted by manually adding or removing plates, which serve as the add-on weights. The plates are secured with a locking mechanism.
What are selectorized adjustable dumbbells?
The selectorized dumbbells are typically either adjusted by turning a knob or inserting a pin up and down the weight stack to select the desired weight.
How to decide?
To make an informed decision, it is important to consider the advantages and disadvantages of Adjustable Dumbbells. Let’s examine the advantages and disadvantages of both categories.
What are the advantages?
Let’s face it, space is often an issue in a weight room. This includes home gyms, boutique fitness centers and athletic facilities. Square feet cost money when paying rent or a mortgage, plus what other equipment you install. Space limitations often lead people to consider adjustable dumbbells. Let’s do the math for the amount of the floor space for conventional dumbbells with a rack. If you have 20 pairs of dumbbells on a conventional rack, it will take up at least 32 square feet of floor space. If you have 40 pairs, it will take up 64 square feet. Black Iron Strength® Adjustable Dumbbells take up 12 square feet. Without a doubt, the overwhelming advantage of adjustable dumbbells is space.
A set of fixed dumbbells is more expensive than a set of adjustable dumbbells. This is because you are purchasing individual dumbbells and supporting racks as opposed to a unit of adjustable dumbbells.
What are the disadvantages?
Lack the ‘look and feel’ of a traditional dumbbell
- With many selectorized adjustable dumbbells, you are literally placing your hand inside a box. Ergonomically, when you are placing your wrist in a box, it significantly limits your range of motion and will ultimately impact your workout.
- Plate-loaded adjustable dumbbells are not compact since the handle has to be longer to allow the user to load multiple plates and a locking mechanism. This longer handle creates instability when lifting the dumbbell since the user will have less balance and control. This instability will limit the user’s gains and potentially creates a safety hazard.
- With the plate-loaded adjustable dumbbells. The securing mechanism for the plate-loaded dumbbells is not commercial grade and even with home use will loosen over time, especially when dropped on the floor. Loose plates create a safety hazard for the user. In a commercial facility, an injury can result in a lawsuit.
- Selectorized adjustable dumbbells with the box style are difficult to spot and this creates a safety issue.
Many of the parts with the selectorized systems are plastic, which will break over time.
The disadvantages of adjustable dumbbells often deter the buyer because he or she appreciates the value of a ‘real’ dumbbell. However, there is now a solution – Black Iron Strength® Adjustable Dumbbells! Check out this video on Black Iron Strength® Adjustable Dumbbells.
What makes Black Iron Strength® Adjustable Dumbbells the ideal choice?
- Black Iron Strength® has the only adjustable dumbbells on the market that have the ‘look and feel’ of a traditional dumbbell.
- Black Iron Strength® has the only commercial grade adjustable dumbbells on the market.
- Black Iron Strength® Adjustable Dumbbells are designed for vertical storage. The system is 4 feet wide from side to side and 3 feet deep from front to back. In 12 square feet, you have 40 pairs of commercial grade dumbbells from 5 to 102.5 lbs. in 2.5 lb. increments.
- Black Iron Strength® has the only adjustable dumbbells available in 2.5 lb. increments up to 157.5 lbs. known as Heavy Set #1 and Heavy Set #2. We also offer Heavy Set #3 and Heavy Set #4 as a special request, especially for pro and college teams.
- Black Iron Strength® has the safest adjustable dumbbell system on the market. The add-on weights are secured with the magnetic power of 80 lbs. of pull on each side of the dumbbell head. The user does not have to worry about the add-on weights falling off. This unique feature, protected by multiple US Patents, is referred to as ‘Poles Apart®’, because the polarity of magnets creates the securing mechanisms.
- Black Iron Strength® has the only adjustable custom dumbbells that are available with six different handle choices to accommodate the user’s hand size. Check out this video on the different handle choices available for the Black Iron Strength® commercial grade dumbbells.
- Black Iron Strength® Adjustable Dumbbells not only have more handle choices than any other adjustable dumbbells, but also Black Iron Strength are the only adjustable commercial dumbbells with Antimicrobial Copper Handles keeping you germ-free 24/7/365. Check out this video to see the killing power of Antimicrobial Copper.
These stand-alone features are why Black Iron Strength® Adjustable dumbbells are found in some of the top athletic facilities for college and pro teams. These teams include the LA Kings NHL Hockey, St. Louis Blues NHL Hockey, Columbus Blue Jackets NHL Hockey, Chicago Bulls NBA, Houston Rockets NBA, St. Louis Cardinals MLB, LA Dodgers MLB, and Baltimore Orioles MLB. Black Iron Strength® Adjustable Commercial Grade Dumbbells are also becoming popular in home gyms and personal training facilities.